180 degrees south

We’ve got to avoid meeting like this, days behind and so much to catch up on. 

We are currently crushing the Neuse River, about to pick up Adams Creek. Our guides warned this part of the trip rivals the Albermarle Sound for most aggressive but so far it’s been cake: I’m down in the cabin curled up with some apples and peanut butter, updating you fine people and not being even one ounce of wretched, which is typical for any crossings that are less than flat. 

Claiborne at the helm with a snack of his own. He’s happy and you know that because he is singing and dancing.

Speaking of wretched, let’s talk about the Albemarle sound…
We left our anchorage outside of Elizabeth City early on Wednesday, hoping to be in favorable conditions for as much of the day as possible. Our plan was to get across the Albemarle Sound and to the mouth of the Alligator River before noon, at which point we’d be in the protection of the river and we could make our run as long or as short as we wanted.  The morning started out fair but by about 9 the wind picked up and the waves followed suit.  I started to feel sick. Five hours later we came to the Alligator River Bridge, where we had a lovely bridge opening with a wonderful bridge tender. I don’t have pictures of any of it because I was five hours deep in the worst sea sickness I’ve ever had and was being too wretched to do anything else but complain. Three hours later, we were still getting rocked in the middle of the Alligator River.  Clay was over being at the helm, I was over feeling sea sick and our anchorage wasn’t close and the river wasn’t letting up.  Finally, after eight and a half hours, the wind 
let up, the waves died down and our anchorage was in sight. We could not have been more happy or exhausted throwing the anchor for the night.  

cloud city


I asked Clay to express his overall feelings about the Albermarle Sound.


Then I asked him to express his overall feelings about leaving that day behind.

The bottom of the Alligator River gets very narrow and funnels into a canal like existence that runs for a few miles.  Some of the best scenery we’ve seen so far was along this canal, with our bald eagle count topping out at 10. No alligators though, as much as I wanted every clump of grass to be one. 
With leaking windows and bruised morale from the beating we took on the Alligator River, we made plans to stop in Belhaven for the evening – luckily, Clay’s dad lives not far from the water and was more than excited to have is stay. We arrived in port Thursday afternoon wet, dirty and tired but a few hours later found us dry, clean and curled up in a king sized bed. 

{The window saga}: I’ve decided to dedicate a whole post to this because it’s supposed to rain tomorrow and that will be the final test as to if this new solution has worked. I think a detail of our troubleshooting may help others who find themselves in a similar situation.


Here is Clay inside another vessel with no windows except this thing isnt really supposed to have them, unlike our boat.

Our one night stop in Belhaven turned into 3 productive days. A hit to our timeline but, as advised by many, we don’t really have a timeline so it all worked out in the end. Great meals and a cozy home were a boost for morale as was our midday, mid-window install visit to Spoon River Restaurant in Belhaven, NC.  


To be continued…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s